Vegan Chai Tea Cookies
This delicious recipe is easy to make and yields about 12 cookies.
1 cup plain white flour
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup butter-flavored vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon baking powder (or 1/3 tsp baking soda)
2 tablespoons vanilla almond milk
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 tablespoon allspice
1 chai teabag
- Pre-heat the oven to 345 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cream the sugar and shortening together with a whisk. Stir in the vanilla almond milk and thoroughly mix.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Open the teabag of chai and pour the tealeaves in. * Mix.
- Add the creamed butter to the flour and mix until a soft dough is formed.
- Shape dough into a log and wrap in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for an hour.
- Tear off small amounts of dough and roll them into balls. They will flatten and spread in the oven, so space them apart accordingly.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until they appear to be done baking (the cookies will be flat and their undersides/edges should be slightly golden-brown). You may need to cook for longer, depending on your oven.
- They will still be soft when you take them out of the oven - ease them off using a spatula.
* Note: you can brew the chai leaves, but since this recipe doesn’t call for many liquids, I chose to just empty the teabag into the mix, which just adds a bit of extra spice - delicious! If you want to try it, you can heat up the 3 tablespoons of vanilla almond milk and dump the loose leaves into the milk, letting it sit for a few minutes before dumping the entire mixture into the flour mix. The almond milk will retain a small amount of chai flavoring and give your cookies an extra kick.