This is kind of a rude question. I mean, if there weren’t so many “why”s thrown in there, I wouldn’t have read it in such an abrasive tone, but you’re coming off as kind of judgmental. (And, okay, you can argue that you didn’t INTEND for it to be rude, but here’s a hint: any statement that starts with “I love your blog BUT” is going to be fucking rude.)
Honestly I shouldn’t be treating this question with the amount of actual dignity that I am treating it, because this is rude. But oh well.
To answer your question, first we need to examine the full annotated list of the real people I ship:
- Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield (who have been dating since, what, May 2011? who have recently moved in together.)
- Ellen and Portia Degeneres (who are MARRIED okay)
- Matt Smith and Karen Gillan (who are best friends with fantastic chemistry both on- and off-set)
David Tennant and Billie Piper (okay, so I don’t actually ship this, but I have vague suspicions that they may have had a fling at one point back in 2006 - I really only tag posts with them together as #irlotp more out of convenience than anything else.)
As you can see, over half of my real people ships are proven canon. (We’re not counting David and Billie as a ship, because I think David and Georgia are ADORABLE together, and the same goes for Billie and Laurence. I don’t see anything going on between David and Billie now.) I don’t see anything wrong with being happy for beautiful people and wanting them to continue to be happy and be together.
As for my shipping Smillan: I am quiet about it. I rarely blog about it (and when I do, it’s all reblogs with the tag #secretly married, so if you don’t want to see any posts involving them you can totally blacklist that and that is A-ok). I rarely think about it because honestly? I don’t know if they’re dating or have dated or will date. I am just fascinated by the dynamic between Matt Smith and Karen Gillan. They are such ridiculous hipsters. So if they’re just best friends, I AM TOTALLY OKAY WITH THAT. I am staying my distance, keeping my boundaries in check, and appreciating how majestic they are as people. Cool, cool, cool.
Here’s a list of things I am NEVER EVER GOING TO DO:
- Try to contact ANY of the members of ANY of my real life ships (via twitter, fanmail, tumblr, whatever medium) and ask them about their significant other. That is SO disrespectful and SO creepy. (I wouldn’t even tweet Ellen to be like, “How are you and Portia doing?” YES, they are ACTUALLY MARRIED. NO, that does NOT give me the license to get all up in their business. There is a line between casual fan and creepy stalker, and it’s a pretty visible line, and I will never ever cross it or even go near it in situations like this.)
- Encourage paparazzi to take photos or videos of my favorite celebrity couples. (Like, I’ve been hoping for new kissing candids from Andrew and Emma recently since there haven’t really been new ones since August, BUT I would never ever ask someone to actually take photos of them kissing. I actually think that the paps are fucking horrible people when they’re on the job, and the fact that they actually FOLLOW celebrities around and even BLOCK THEIR WAY OUT so that the celebrities have no choice but to have their photo taken is absolutely sickening. If there are going to be paparazzi at all, they should be sneakier, bother the celebrities less, and also RESPECT the celebrities if they are asked to put their cameras away.)
- Write smutty RPF about any of them. (I’ve written fanfiction about Stonefield, which admittedly was crossing a line I had previously set for myself, but I will NEVER write actual smut about real people. I won’t judge other people who do, but personally I just can’t do it. And I’m otherwise the Queen of Smut.)
So, uh… If you have an issue with me appreciating the dynamic between two people, you can ask me about it some more. If you have an issue with my appreciation of the relationships of celebrities, feel free to talk to me about it.
Just know that I treat my real life ships with more respect than you’ve treated me in just your ask alone.